St. Aethelnoth the Good
Archbishop of Canterbury
Aethelnoth was known as "the Good". A monk of Glastonbury, he became Dean of Canterbury and, on 13th November 1020, the number of his canons were so great, compared to the devasted monks, that he was consecrated to the See of Canterbury by the Archbishop of York. He was the counsellor and close friend of King Cnut the Great, working with him to make the English and the Danish settlers a united people.
He restored and beautified Canterbury Cathedral and, on his return from a visit to Rome, brought with him the arm of St. Augustine of Hippo which he gave too the church of Coventry. His respect for the wishes of Cnut was shown in his refusal to crown the King's successor, Harald Harefoot. Aethelnoth died on 29th October 1038.
Edited from G.M. Bevan's "Portraits of the Archbishops of Canterbury" (1908).
|© Nash Ford Publishing 2001. All Rights Reserved.|