- His name is pronounced 'Oz-wee'.
- Oswiu was the brother of King Oswald
of Northumbria. He became King
- Oswiu was a warrior. He had led
his brother's army which took over Gododdin (in Scotland).
- He got married lots of times. His
first wife was the daughter of the King of North Rheged. So he
inherited this kingdom.
- Oswiu spent most of his reign
fighting against King Penda of
Mercia. The Mercians took over
Northumbria in AD 655. The two sides had a big battle. Penda's
friends would not help him fight and he was killed.
- In AD 664, there was a big
argument about when people should celebrate Easter. The
Northumbrians worked it out the Irish way. A lot of people
said you should do it the Roman way. Oswiu called a big
meeting at Whitby to decide. The Roman Church won.